English Forum Switzerland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
redtrout

Fired on probation and withheld notice period compensation Empty Fired on probation and withheld notice period compensation

Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:55 am
hi all - I was let go during my probation period with immediate effect (long story, but no wrongdoing on my part. Paranoia at CEO level).

situation: I was fired and immediately cut off from the company systems during my trial period. I received a letter that my notice period started (7 days since in trial period). I had planned to work remotely the following weeks (allowed at the company) and shifted my work schedule to evening work since that week was focused on US projects (I had prepared OOO and blocked times in my calendar. In any case, all that obviously went out the door as I had no access to servers, email, files..etc from the moment I was told we would be parting ways.

problem: I just received final pay and they deducted the week I was on notice stating that according to my calendar I was going to be away. Not only did I not have access to any company resources, but I did not receive any texts, phone calls, or other etc.. asking me to preform anything. Are they just being petty, or can they really pull this off?

longshot but anybody been in such a situation?

thanks
3Wishes
3Wishes
Admin

Fired on probation and withheld notice period compensation Empty Re: Fired on probation and withheld notice period compensation

Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:45 pm
Hello and welcome.
What does your contract say about the notice period and about possible deductions in pay? It sounds as if you'd blocked your calendar in such a way that the company didn't think you'd be working at all that week, so they assumed no reason to pay you (or keep you employed, I guess).
redtrout

Fired on probation and withheld notice period compensation Empty Re: Fired on probation and withheld notice period compensation

Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:42 pm
It does not say anything. We mainly work remote, so as long as work is done there are no issues - i.e. I often work until midnight.
I can't get around the idea of being cut off from the system and then being told I am not paid for my notice period since I did not work...
3Wishes
3Wishes
Admin

Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:22 pm
It does sound strange, but I'm not an employment expert.

I hate to redirect you, but this replacement site for EF is much quieter than the other one. You might get some more responses if you post over there, as members seem to be more active:

https://swissforum.co.uk

redtrout

Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:39 pm
all good - thanks.
went and checked with legal insurance. They confirmed the employer has to compensate since access was blocked.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum